Sunday, May 11, 2014

My top 10 "comfort food" verses

Tornadoes have always excited me. Getting the whole family together in the basement with the special emergency snacks my mom had prepared only for such occasions was something I looked forward. As a kid it was fun, never even thought about the storm, but tonight the tornado sirens and thunderstorm warnings went off while I was at work. There was nowhere very safe that we could go, and suddenly storms were a lot less exciting and a whole lot more frightening. I started to panic. 
Absolute best way to end a long day.
When I was getting ready to move out of my parent's house I prepared for nights like tonight knowing that I tend to freak out, overreact, over think, and lose sleep over things I have no control over whatsoever. I created for myself what I call a "bad day book", a simple notebook that I filled with "comfort food" verses, verses that remind me who God is and of His promises for protection, peace, and purpose. I hand wrote tons and tons of verses which I have read several times since then.  When I'm discouraged after a long day or I hear something in the night that scares me, it's then that I grab my bad day book.
Today I have very painstakingly narrowed down a book full of verses to my top ten of these to share in hopes that you will use them in the same manner :-) I know I am not alone in the discouragement the world can cause or the struggles we face, but because of who God is, because He has proven Himself 100% trustworthy and faithful, we have no reason to worry or fear. Instead of wasting time, sleep, and grey hairs, let's choose to have faith that the Lord is in control and that He will work everything out according to His purpose. When you truly trust in this I have found that God gives peace and joy that will brighten your days no matter the circumstances. 

Luke 12:27-31 - "Consider how the lilies grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today, and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, how much more will he clothe you, O you of little faith! And do not set your heart on what you will eat or drink; do not worry about it. For the pagan world runs after all such things, and your father knows that you need them. But seek his kingdom, and these things will be given to you as well." 

Romans 8:38-39 - "For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord." 

Psalm 37:5 - "God has a reason for allowing things to happen. We may never understand his wisdom, but we simply have to trust his will." 

Philippians 4:7 - "And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus."
  
Lamentations 3:22-23 - "The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness." 

Isaiah 40:31 - "But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." 

2 Corinthians 12:9 - "My grace is sufficient for you, for my strength is made perfect in weakness." 

Psalm 46:2-3 - "God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in times of trouble. Therefore we will not fear though the earth should change and the mountains slip into the heart of the ocean." 

Exodus 14:14 - "The Lord will fight for you, you need only be still."

Psalm 29:11 - "The Lord gives his people strength. The Lord blesses them with peace." 


No comments:

Post a Comment